Drug Master File (DMF) is used to provide confidential and detailed information about facilities, and processes used in the manufacturing, processing, packaging, and storing of one or more human drugs. A DMF is not a substitute for any Drug Application, or Export Application. It is not approved or disapproved. Technical content of a DMF submission is reviewed only in connection with the review of a Drug Application, or an Export Application. The DMF usually covers the Chemistry, Manufacturing and Controls (CMC) of a component of a drug product, for example, drug substance, excipient, packaging material. DMFs are of five types:
- Type I: Manufacturing Site, Facilities, Operating Procedures, and Personnel (no longer applicable)
- Type II: Drug Substance, Drug Substance Intermediate, and Material Used in Their Preparation, or Drug Product
- Type III: Packaging Material
- Type IV: Excipient, Colorant, Flavor, Essence, or Material Used in Their Preparation
- Type V: FDA Accepted Reference Information
Beginning May 5, 2018, the United States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) mandated that the new DMFs as well as documentation for existing DMFs must be submitted using the Electronic Common Technical Document (eCTD). DMF submissions that are not submitted in eCTD format after this date will be rejected.
European Drug Master File (EDMF)
Active Substance Master File (ASMF) procedure, formerly known as the European Drug Master File (EDMF) procedure allows valuable confidential intellectual property or 'know-how' of the manufacturer of the active substance (ASM) to be protected, while at the same time allowing the Applicant or Marketing Authorization (MA) holder to take full responsibility for the medicinal product and the quality and quality control of the active substance. National Competent Authorities/EMA thus have access to the complete information that is necessary for an evaluation of the suitability of the use of the active substance in the medicinal product.
Active Substance Master File (ASMF) commonly known as the European Drug Master File (EDMF) is a submission made to European Competent Authorities and / or EMEA in support of Marketing Authorization Application [MAA] or Marketing Authorization Variation [MAV] of a medicinal product. ASMF / EDMF shall be prepared in Common Technical Document (CTD) format.
The scientific information in the EDMF should be physically divided into:
- the Applicants Part (AP) - contains the information that the EDMF holder regards as non-confidential to the Applicant / MA holder
- the Restricted Part (RP) - contains the information that the EDMF holder regards as confidential.
The DMFs generated for regions (excluding USA and Europe) are covered under Regional DMFs for the following countries: Canada, Turkey, Brazil, Korea, South Africa, Australia, Syria, Saudi Arabia. Regional guidelines of the respective countries must be followed for generation and submission of the Regional Drug Master Files.
- Maintaining the lifecycle of the DMFs
- Updating or amending existing DMFs with the USFDA
- Creating Baseline submissions for paper DMFs
- Converting existing DMFs to eCTD
- Module 1 document mapping and granularity management
- DMF life cycle management including the amendments and annual report
- Document formatting and publishing specific to the USFDA
- Navigation aid management with hyperlink integration and table of contents
- Dossier compilation for DMF submissions in eCTD format
- Providing searchable text-based documents to ease out paper to electronic document conversion as required by the USFDA
- Serve as your agent for the USFDA communications
- Reactivate inactive DMFs with the USFDA and convert them to eCTD
- Requesting for pre-assigned application number for eCTD submissions on behalf of API manufacturer
- Conversion of paper DMFs to electronic DMFs
- Flexible eCTD publishing software, Freyr SUBMIT PRO, for end-to-end Regulatory publishing and submission services
- Well-versed Regulatory team keeping track of ever-changing Regulatory guidelines
- Well defined processes for creating ASMF / DMF submissions - starting from articulating to publishing and dispatching DMFs
- Expert advice on region-specific DMF submission requirements and various other Regulatory submission formats
- Point of contact for each submission
- DMF submission dispatch availing Freyr gateway
- Effective dossier compilation and preparation within reduced timeframes
- Dedicated quality check teams
- Quick submission turnaround times
For faster, compliant and seamless submissions, Freyr offers an in-house eCTD tool Freyr SUBMIT PRO. Freyr SUBMIT PRO suits all your submission requirements across the globe and supports regional formats. To know more about Freyr SUBMIT PRO, gain a comprehensive overview at: